Student Information for Remainder of Spring Semester
I write to follow up on President Bollinger’s message to our community and to provide more information to you. Your school will also follow up with you directly.
First, I want to recognize that these are challenging times, with each day bringing new information and new questions. For many students, there is also a great sense of concern as the semester changes in ways no one anticipated even a few weeks ago. One certainty is that your health and well-being are at the heart of every difficult decision we are making.
In this context, here is important information for you about classes, housing, campus resources and more:
- Classes will remain online through the end of the Spring semester.
- The University will remain open.
- Undergraduate students in Columbia College and the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS): As President Bollinger wrote, we encourage any students who are able to move out of the undergraduate residence halls for the rest of the semester to do so, and we are ready to help in the process. Your school will provide you with more detailed information and FAQs, including for students who are currently away on Spring Break. Importantly, we understand that some of you will need to remain on campus for a variety of reasons. Campus services will remain open for you. Please see below.
- Students who reside in other Columbia housing are unaffected by this change. If you have any questions about University Apartment Housing, please contact Columbia Residential at 212-854-9300 or email@example.com.
Dining, Libraries, Fitness Centers
- Campus dining, libraries and fitness centers will remain open, with enhanced cleaning and other modifications as needed as facts related to COVID-19 evolve and to accommodate the smaller number of students remaining on campus.
- Student services remain open for virtual and in-person support and other assistance. Modifications to hours and staff availability may occur as the current situation evolves. Please check websites for modifications to scheduled hours and access.
- These student services will remain open: Columbia Health (Medical Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, Disability Services, Sexual Violence Response, Alice Health! Promotion), CUIMC Student Health Service (Medical Services, Mental Health Service, Center for Student Wellness), Student Financial Services, International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO), Registrar, CUIT, and others as needed.
- We remain a Columbia community, even when we are in many different locations. Look forward to online and small-group University Life activities coming soon.
We know many questions lie ahead and will continue to update you as this situation unfolds. For right now, I want to thank each of you personally for your patience and your fortitude as we make our way together through this unprecedented time. As always, I welcome your questions and suggestions.
Professor Suzanne B. Goldberg
Executive Vice President for University Life
Herbert and Doris Wechsler Clinical Professor of Law
P.S. Here are resources you might find useful in the coming days: