If an incident happens outdoors:
- Seek cover indoors.
- Call Public Safety at 212-854-5555 (Morningside), 212-853-3333 (Manhattanville) or 212-305-7979 (Medical Center). Give your name, exact location and the nature of the condition.
If an incident happens indoors:
- Lock and barricade doors and windows and close blinds.
- Do not stand by windows or doors.
- Call Public Safety at 212-854-5555 (Morningside), 212-853-3333 (Manhattanville) or 212-305-7979 (Medical Center). Give your name, exact location inside the building and the nature of the condition.
- Silence any device that makes noise, such as mobile phones, radios and computer monitors.
- Keep out of sight and take adequate cover.
- Wait for emergency personnel to respond.
Active Shooter Incident Guidelines
The following guidelines are intended to reduce your personal risk in the unlikely event that an active shooter incident were to happen on campus.
If you are outside a building when an event occurs, take immediate cover, preferably inside a building, circumstances permitting:
If you are in a building when an event occurs, you should:
Secure the Immediate Area:
- Lock and barricade doors
- Do not stand by doors or windows
- Turn off lights
- Close blinds
- Block windows
- Turn off radios and computer monitors
- Keep yourself out of sight and take adequate cover/protection (for example, concrete walls, thick desks, filing cabinets—cover may protect you from bullets)
- Silence cell phones and any device that makes noise, such as radios and computer monitors
Un-Securing an Area:
- Consider the risks before un-securing rooms
- Remember, the shooter will not stop until they are engaged by an outside force
- Attempts to rescue people should only be attempted if it can be accomplished without further endangering the people inside a secured area
- Consider the safety of masses vs. the safety of a few
- If doubt exists for the safety of the individuals inside the room, the area should remain secured
- Know all alternate exits in your building
- Dial 4-5555 from any Morningside phone
- Dial 3-3333 from any Manhattanville phone
- Dial 5-7979 from any CUMC phone
- Use Emergency 911
- Email: email@example.com
Be aware that the Public Safety numbers will likely be overwhelmed. Program the alternate Public Safety numbers (212-854-2797, 212-853-3301, 212-305-8100) into your mobile phone for backup, or consider 911 or email. Remember, most cell phones provide the ability to make an emergency call, even if they have a lockout feature.
Email may also be an option if, under the circumstances, you are unable to speak. The email address above is monitored by Public Safety personnel.
What to Report:
Provide as much of this information as you can to Public Safety or other emergency responders, but do not wait if you do not have all the information:
- Your specific location: building name and office or room number
- Number of people at your specific location
- Injuries—number injured, types of injuries
- Assailant(s)—location, number of suspects, race/gender, clothing description, physical features, type of weapons (long gun or hand gun), backpack, shooter's identity if known, separate explosions from gunfire, etc.
The guidelines from NYPD on their own police response are:
- Objective is to engage assailant(s) immediately
- Evacuate victims
- Facilitate follow up medical care, interviews, counseling