Winter Storm Update, 1/21/2014
The Emergency Management Operations Team is closely monitoring today’s winter storm. The National Weather Service forecast predicts heavy snowfall and strong winds this evening into tomorrow morning.
There will be normal operations through the end of business hours today, and we anticipate normal operations tomorrow, Wednesday, January 22, 2014. We urge all members of the Columbia community to stay informed about conditions as the storm progresses.
Morningside classes scheduled from 6 p.m. onward tonight,Tuesday, January 21, 2014, are canceled.
Morningside Campus Updates
- Again, evening classes at Morningside are canceled beginning at 6:00 p.m. tonight,Tuesday, January 21, 2014.
- Library facilities will close today at 5:00 p.m., except for Butler Library, which will operate as a study hall with security guard coverage this evening.
- The duPont Awards are proceeding as previously planned.
- For other events, we advise members of the community to check with the event sponsor for updates.
The following Morningside campus gates are closed for snow removal and icy conditions:
- College Walk pedestrian gates (both Broadway and Amsterdam)
- Chapel gate
- Earl Hall gate
- CEPSR 120th Street gate
- The exterior staircase at the Northwest Corner Building is now closed due to hazardous conditions. Please use the interior route as an alternative.
Please note the following Columbia Transportation updates:
- Intercampus shuttle service: Last shuttle will depart at 7:00 p.m. tonight (from Teacher's College, 120th Street, eastbound). Please be advised that the shuttle is experiencing delays. For up-to-the-minute information on the status and location of the Intercampus Shuttle, please visit http://transportation.columbia.edu/.
- Lamont shuttle service: Last shuttle left Lamont campus at 2 p.m., returning to Morningside campus.
- Ft. Lee/George Washington Bridge shuttle service: Last shuttle will depart at 7:10 p.m. tonight (eastbound to CUMC).
- On Wednesday, January 22, Columbia Transportation plans on business as usual. However, riders should plan on weather-related delays
- To report an emergency on campus, call Public Safety at (212) 854-5555. For off-campus health or safety emergencies, please call 911.
- Facilities continues to be available at Morningside to assist with campus and building services. To contact the Facilities Services Center, call (212) 854-2222, 24 hours a day.
Columbia University Medical Center Updates
- CUMC Facilities Operations and CUMC Public Safety are available to assist with campus, building or other issues that may arise. For Facilities, please call 305-HELP or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For Public Safety, dial 305-8100 for routine matters or 305-7979 for an on-campus emergency.
Updates for the CUMC community will be posted and updated at http://bit.ly/CUMC_Advisory.
Before You Leave
In preparation for the inclement weather, Facilities would like to remind everyone to do the following before departing this afternoon:
- Make sure all windows are closed securely. This single step may be the most important way that you can protect your work area from potentially-damaging high winds.
- Remember windows in spaces that are not usually occupied. It is often an open window in one of these "forgotten" rooms that causes frozen or split pipes, not to mention wasted energy.
- Leave all radiator valves and fans coils on to ensure adequate heating and to avoid damage from freezing. Fan coils should be set to the slowest speed setting.
- Clear clothing or furniture away from heaters to avoid inadequate heating that may cause freeze-ups and damage.
- Make sure all faucets are off.
- Report problems, such as leaks or windows or doors that cannot be closed, to the Facilities Services Center by calling the Facilities Services Center, call (212) 854-2222, 24 hours a day.
For More Information
For more information on weather and transit, please visit:
- The New York City Severe Weather website:http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/nycsevereweather/weather_home.shtml
- The MTA website:www.mta.info
- The National Weather Service website:http://www.weather.gov/
As the situation changes, we will continue to update the Columbia Preparedness website, http://preparedness.columbia.edu/and the Columbia homepage, www.columbia.edu. The Columbia University Medical Center homepage, www.cumc.columbia.edu, will also be updated. Alternatively, you may call 212-854-1754 for the Morningside campus or 212-305-7300 for the Medical Center.
Again, please exercise caution if you need to travel, and dress in warm layers if you need to be outside.