Home › Fire Emergency (Evacuate)
Fire Emergency (Evacuate)
- If the building fire alarm is activated, immediately evacuate the building.
- Proceed to the nearest exit (NEVER use the elevator), closing doors as you exit.
- Continue down the stairs and exit the building.
- Do not re-enter building until authorized by emergency responders or Public Safety personnel.
If unable to evacuate:
- Call Public Safety at 212-854-5555. Give name, exact location inside the building and the nature of the condition.
- Close door and seal cracks to prevent smoke from entering.
- If possible, open window at top and bottom; never break the window, as if copious smoke enters the window you should be ready to close it again.
- If the air at the window is clear, stay at window breathing the fresh air as it enters.
- Signal for help so that emergency responders can see your location.