Classes from 3 p.m. on Canceled Today, 2/13/2014
The Emergency Management Operations Team is closely monitoring today’s winter storm. The National Weather Service forecast predicts snowfall accumulations and a wintry mix throughout the day.
All classes at Morningside campus and the Medical Center beginning at 3 p.m. or later are canceled today, February 13, 2014, because of worsening weather conditions.
Departments are encouraged to release non-essential personnel beginning at 3 p.m. consistent with operational needs.
Essential personnel are expected to work as directed by their supervisors, consistent with University Policy.
We anticipate normal operations tomorrow, Friday, February 14, 2014. We urge all members of the Columbia community to stay informed about conditions as the storm progresses.
Morningside Campus Updates for Today, February 13, 2014
- Again, classes at Morningside beginning at 3 p.m. or later are canceled today.
- “Glass House Rocks” at Lerner Hall is proceeding as scheduled.
- Dodge Fitness Center will remain open today.
Columbia Dining has the following updates:
- Uris Café, Lenfest Café, Carlton (Mudd) Café and Dodge Blue Java will be closed beginning at 3 p.m. today.
- All other Columbia Dining facilites have normal operating hours at this time.
- Butler Library will be open as a study space. All other libraries will be closed beginning at 3 p.m. today.
The following events are canceled:
- All University Seminars in Faculty House
- MBA New Student Meeting in Low Library
- For other events, we advise members of the community to check with the event sponsor for updates.
The following Morningside campus gates are closed for snow removal and icy conditions:
- College Walk pedestrian gates (both Broadway and Amsterdam)
- Chapel gate
- Earl Hall gate
- CEPSR 120th Street gate
- The exterior staircase at the Northwest Corner Building is now closed due to hazardous conditions. Please use the interior route as an alternative.
Please note the following Columbia Transportation updates:
- All shuttle service beginning at 8 p.m. is suspended.
- To report an emergency on campus, call Public Safety at 212-854-5555. For off-campus health or safety emergencies, please call 911.
- Facilities continues to be available at Morningside to assist with campus and building services. To contact the Facilities Services Center, call 212-854-2222, 24 hours a day.
Lamont Campus Updates
- Lamont campus will be closed today, February 13, 2014.
- Lamont Shuttle Service will also be suspended for today.
Columbia University Medical Center Updates
- The Mailman School of Public Health is canceling classes and all scheduled events beginning at 1 p.m. today.
- CUMC Facilities Operations and CUMC Public Safety are available to assist with campus, building or other issues that may arise. For Facilities, please call 212-305-HELP or email email@example.com. For Public Safety, dial 212-305-8100 for routine matters or 212-305-7979 for an on-campus emergency.
- Updates for the CUMC community will be posted and updated at http://bit.ly/CUMC_Advisory.
Before You Leave
In preparation for the inclement weather, Facilities would like to remind everyone to do the following before departing this afternoon:
- Make sure all windows are closed securely. This single step may be the most important way that you can protect your work area from potentially-damaging high winds.
- Remember windows in spaces that are not usually occupied. It is often an open window in one of these "forgotten" rooms that causes frozen or split pipes, not to mention wasted energy.
- Leave all radiator valves and fans coils on to ensure adequate heating and to avoid damage from freezing. Fan coils should be set to the slowest speed setting.
- Clear clothing or furniture away from heaters to avoid inadequate heating that may cause freeze-ups and damage.
- Make sure all faucets are off.
- Report problems, such as leaks or windows or doors that cannot be closed, to the Facilities Services Center by calling the Facilities Services Center, call 212-854-2222, 24 hours a day.
For More Information
For more information on weather and transit, please visit:
The New York City Severe Weather website:
The MTA website:
The National Weather Service website:
As the situation changes, we will continue to update the Columbia Preparedness website, http://preparedness.columbia.edu/ and the Columbia homepage, www.columbia.edu. The Columbia University Medical Center homepage, www.cumc.columbia.edu, will also be updated. Alternatively, you may call 212-854-1754 for the Morningside campus or 212-305-7300 for the Medical Center.
Again, please exercise caution if you need to travel, and dress in warm layers if you need to be outside.