Winter Storm Watch
Wednesday, January 20, 2016, 8:59 a.m.
The Emergency Management Operations Team is closely monitoring a significant winter storm currently forecasted to potentially impact the New York City area this weekend. Members of the Columbia community can stay informed via preparedness.columbia.edu or www.columbia.edu for campus updates as the situation develops.
University Facilities and Operations continues to be available at Morningside to assist with campus and building services. To contact the Facilities Services Center, call 212-854-2222, 24 hours a day.
As the cold weather continues, a reminder of a few simple things you can do to help prevent property loss or damage:
- Close blinds, curtains and lock all windows. (Be sure all windows are closed including windows in spaces that are not normally occupied. It is in these "forgotten" rooms that, in addition to wasting energy, an open window can cause freezing and split pipes and resulting damage.)
- Leave all radiator valves and fan coils turned on to ensure adequate heating and to avoid freeze damage. Fan coils should be set to the slowest speed setting. If you have questions about valve or coil settings, please contact the Facilities Services Center.
- Clear clothing or furniture away from heaters to avoid inadequate heating that may cause freeze-ups and damage.
- Make sure all faucets are off.
- Close fume hoods when not in use and shut down non-essential lab equipment.
- Report problems such as leaks, opened windows and doors or other issues to the Facilities Services Center at x4-2222. We are open 24/7 and are prepared to handle your calls.
David M. Greenberg
Executive Vice President
University Facilities and Operations
on behalf of the Emergency Management Operations Team