Winter Storm Update, 2/3/2014
The Emergency Management Operations Team is closely monitoring today’s winter storm. The National Weather Service forecast predicts snowfall through the afternoon and ending early this evening.
The University is open for normal operations today, February 3, 2014. We also anticipate normal operations for Tuesday, February 4. We urge all members of the Columbia community to stay informed about conditions as the storm progresses. Please exercise caution and dress in warm layers when traveling or going outside.
Morningside Campus Updates
Classes and events are proceeding as scheduled.
- We advise students and members of the University community to confirm specific details with faculty or event sponsors if necessary.
The following Morningside campus gates are closed for snow removal and icy conditions:
- College Walk pedestrian gates (both Broadway and Amsterdam)
- Chapel gate
- Earl Hall gate
- CEPSR 120th Street gate
- The exterior staircase at the Northwest Corner Building is now closed due to hazardous conditions. Please use the interior route as an alternative.
Please note the following Columbia Transportation updates:
- The Intercampus shuttle is in service but experiencing delays. For up-to-the-minute information on the status and location of the Intercampus Shuttle, please visit http://transportation.columbia.edu/.
- To report an emergency on campus, call Public Safety at (212) 854-5555. For off-campus health or safety emergencies, please call 911.
- Facilities continues to be available at Morningside to assist with campus and building services. To contact the Facilities Services Center, call (212) 854-2222, 24 hours a day.
Columbia University Medical Center Updates
- The Columbia Dental School clinic is closing at 3:30 p.m. today.
- CUMC Facilities Operations and CUMC Public Safety are available to assist with campus, building or other issues that may arise. For Facilities, please call 305-HELP or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For Public Safety, dial 212-305-8100 for routine matters or 212305-7979 for an on-campus emergency.
- Updates for the CUMC community will be posted and updated at http://bit.ly/CUMC_Advisory.
Before You Leave
In preparation for the inclement weather, Facilities would like to remind everyone to do the following before departing this afternoon:
- Make sure all windows are closed securely. This single step may be the most important way that you can protect your work area from potentially-damaging high winds.
- Remember windows in spaces that are not usually occupied. It is often an open window in one of these "forgotten" rooms that causes frozen or split pipes, not to mention wasted energy.
- Leave all radiator valves and fans coils on to ensure adequate heating and to avoid damage from freezing. Fan coils should be set to the slowest speed setting.
- Clear clothing or furniture away from heaters to avoid inadequate heating that may cause freeze-ups and damage.
- Make sure all faucets are off.
- Report problems, such as leaks or windows or doors that cannot be closed, to the Facilities Services Center by calling the Facilities Services Center, call (212) 854-2222, 24 hours a day.
For More Information
For more information on weather and transit, please visit:
The New York City Severe Weather website:
The MTA website:
The National Weather Service website:
As the situation changes, we will continue to update the Columbia Preparedness website, http://preparedness.columbia.edu/ and the Columbia homepage, www.columbia.edu. The Columbia University Medical Center homepage, www.cumc.columbia.edu, will also be updated. Alternatively, you may call 212-854-1754 for the Morningside campus or 212-305-7300 for the Medical Center.
Again, please exercise caution if you need to travel, and dress in warm layers if you need to be outside.