Update on the Current Storm
Saturday, January 23, 2016, 11:25 p.m.
The Emergency Management Operations Team (EMOT) continues to monitor conditions on campus and in the wider New York City area during the current storm.
Based on the latest information, we have the following additions to yesterday’s update:
Morningside Campus Services
- Medical Services offices at Morningside have closed early, as of 2:00 p.m. For medical emergencies on campus, please call 212-854-5555. Off campus, please call 911. Visit http://health.columbia.edu for additional information.
- JJ’s Place will close early, at 8:00 p.m. tonight, January 23. Ferris Booth is closed as of 2:30 p.m. Butler Blue Java is closed as of 3:00 p.m. We encourage members of the community to check dining.columbia.edu for additional updates.
- The Columbia University Bookstore is closed today, but is expected to reopen tomorrow, Sunday, January 24 for normal business hours.
Lerner Hall will close at midnight tonight.
- The city has issued a road travel ban, beginning at 2:30 p.m., Saturday, January 23, except for emergency travel.
- Above ground subway and regional rail service will be shutting down services as of 4:00 p.m.
The city has also suspended alternate side of the street parking, through Monday, January 25, to facilitate snow removal.
- Morningside campus is accessible, and most walkways are clear. Facilities will continue snow removal throughout the weekend.
- At the Medical Center, the Hammer Building lower level one entrance is temporarily closed. Entry is available using the main doors at 168th Street and Fort Washington Avenue.
Due to rapidly changing conditions, please continue to use caution if you need to venture outside, and we encourage you to check in with service providers before visiting.
As more updates become available, we will continue to post new information to the Columbia Preparedness Website at http://preparedness.columbia.edu. Medical Center updates will be available at http://newsroom.cumc.columbia.edu/blog/2016/01/22/winter-storm-update-2/. We encourage all members of the community to use these resources.
For assistance with campus and building services, contact Facilities at 212-854-2222 at the Morningside campus and 212-305-HELP at the Medical Center.
For health or safety emergencies, please call 911.
For more information on weather and transit, please visit:
- The New York City Severe Weather website: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/severeweather/index.page
- The MTA website: www.mta.info
- The National Weather Service website: http://www.weather.gov
Please stay safe and exercise caution if you need to travel.