Updates: Latest Blizzard Forecast
Friday, January 22, 2016 7:00 p.m.
As the Emergency Management Operations Team (EMOT) continues to monitor the coming winter storm, the National Weather Service has revised its forecast. The latest information predicts snow accumulations of 12 to 18 inches. The blizzard warning remains effective from Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon, with strong winds and dangerous travel conditions expected.
At this time, we anticipate that the Morningside campus will remain open, with Facilities Operations working diligently on snow removal to allow for campus access.
The following updates are now available:
Libraries, Services and Events
- Butler Library will remain open as a study space, but all other libraries will be closed over the weekend.
- Peripheral gates at Morningside will be closed.
- As we shared earlier today, there are still no changes to the regular weekend schedules of Dodge Fitness Center, Lerner Hall, Dining, or Health, but we advise checking in with these service providers before visiting.
- At the Medical Center, there are also no planned changes to the regular weekend schedules for the Bard Athletic Center or the Knowledge Center at the Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library, but we advise checking in with these service providers before visiting.
If you are scheduled to attend an event on campus this weekend, you may want to check in with the appropriate venues or event organizers for the latest updates and possible cancellations.
- The School of International and Public Affairs has canceled weekend classes, and has informed SIPA students.
- The School of Professional Studies has cancelled in-person weekend classes, and has informed SPS students.
We advise other students to check with your school and/or instructor regarding the status of weekend classes.
As more updates become available, we will continue to post new information to the Columbia Preparedness Website at http://preparedness.columbia.edu. Medical Center updates will be available at http://newsroom.cumc.columbia.edu/blog/2016/01/22/winter-storm-update-2/. We encourage all members of the community to use these resources.
In accordance with Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Winter Weather Emergency Declaration, we urge all members of the Columbia community to avoid travel if possible, use mass transit if necessary, and to stay informed about weather conditions.
For assistance with campus and building services, contact Facilities at 212-854-2222 at the Morningside campus and 212-305-HELP at the Medical Center.
To report an emergency on campus, call Public Safety at 212-854-5555 at Morningside and 212-305-7979 at the Medical Center. For off-campus health or safety emergencies, please call 911.
For more information on weather and transit, please visit:
- The New York City Severe Weather website: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/severeweather/index.page
- The MTA website: www.mta.info
- The National Weather Service website: http://www.weather.gov
Please stay safe and exercise caution if you need to travel.