Winter Storm Update, 2/9/2013, 10:00 a.m.
The worst of the winter storm has passed, but the National Weather Service forecast still predicts strong gusts of wind and flurries this morning. We urge members of the community to continue to exercise caution and dress in warm layers when traveling or going outside.
Consistent with University Policy, essential personnel are expected to work as directed by their supervisors.
Cancellations, Postponements and Delays
- Classes in SIPA, Arts, Business and Journalism have been cancelled for Saturday, February 9, 2013. Mailman School of Public Health classes scheduled for Saturday, February 9, 2013, and Sunday, February 10, 2013, have been delayed to a new start time of 12:00 noon. Students in other Saturday courses should contact their instructor for information about the course.
- The Science Honors Program for high school students has been cancelled for Saturday (2/10).
- Men’s Basketball – Friday’s game is proceeding as scheduled. The Columbia vs. Harvard game slated for Saturday, February 9 has been rescheduled for Sunday, February 10 at 2 p.m.
- Women’s Tennis Tournament – Friday, February 8 – cancelled
- Men’s Swimming vs. Princeton 6 pm – Friday, February 8 – postponed
- For full details about athletic events and ticket information, visit http://www.gocolumbialions.com/.
Morningside Campus Service Updates
- Please note that during snow removal, the University is working to keep the main gates of the Morningside campus open at 116th Street, at both Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue. The following gates will be closed during snow removal - Chapel Gate, Earl Hall Gate, CPSR Gate, NW Corner Staircase.
Dining has the following service updates for Saturday, February 9:
- Café 212 is closed
- Butler Café is open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- JJ's Place and Ferris Booth will be open for normal operating hours.
Columbia Transportation has the following service changes:
- Intercampus: The last run from CUMC to Morningside departs at 6:35 p.m. Friday, ending at Morningside on 120th Street
- Ft. Lee: The last run from Ft. Lee-Parker Plaza to CUMC departs at 7:10 p.m. Friday, ending at CUMC
- Lamont: As noted on the Preparedness website earlier Friday, the final shuttle from Morningside to Lamont left campus at 3:00 p.m. That bus is also the last transportation out of Lamont and back to Morningside at 4:00 p.m.
- Public Safety has suspended the Morningside Heights evening shuttle service.
- Beginning Friday evening and throughout Saturday, Butler Library will be open as a study space. Other libraries will be closed.
- The Housing Hospitality Desk in Hartley Hall continues to be available 24 hours a day at (212) 854-2779.
- To report an emergency on campus, call Public Safety at (212) 854-5555. For off-campus health or safety emergencies, please call 911.
- Facilities continues to be available at Morningside to assist with campus and building services. To contact the Facilities Services Center, call (212) 854-2222, 24 hours a day.
For more information on weather and transit, please visit:
The New York City Severe Weather website:
The MTA website:
The National Weather Service website:
As the situation changes, we will continue to update this website, http://preparedness.columbia.edu/ and the Columbia homepage, www.columbia.edu. The Columbia University Medical Center homepage, www.cumc.columbia.edu, will also be updated. Alternatively, you may call 212-854-1754 for the Morningside campus or 212-305-7300 for the Medical Center.