Normal Operations for 1/28/2015
Tuesday, 1/27/15, 12:30 p.m.
Dear Columbia Community,
According to the National Weather Service, the worst of the latest winter storm has passed.
While classes and most events remain canceled today, Tuesday, January 27, the University will resume normal operations tomorrow, Wednesday, January 28, 2015.
We urge all members of the Columbia community to stay informed about conditions. Please continue to check the Columbia Preparedness website, http://preparedness.columbia.edu/, and the Columbia homepage, www.columbia.edu, for updates.
Morningside Campus Updates
Classes and most events remain canceled for today, Tuesday, January 27. Again, we will resume normal operations tomorrow.
- All events scheduled through University Event Management (UEM) are cancelled today. For non-UEM campus events, we advise students and members of the University community to confirm specific details with event sponsors if necessary.
Dining has three locations open today; see the schedule for more details. Normal hours resume tomorrow.
- John Jay is open today from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Blue Java Coffee Bar in Butler Library is open today until 3:00 p.m.
- Café East in Lerner Hall is open today from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Butler Library will be open today as a study space. All other libraries will be closed until Wednesday.
- Lerner Hall is open for regular hours; all reservable spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Dodge Fitness Center plans to remain open. Check http://www.gocolumbialions.comfor updates.
- Faculty House is closed today, 1/27 and will re-open tomorrow.
All Morningside campus gates will re-open tomorrow morning on a normal schedule. The following Morningside campus gates remain closed today for snow removal and icy conditions:
- College Walk pedestrian gates (both Broadway and Amsterdam). College Walk main gates will remain open.
- Chapel gate
- Earl Hall gate
- CEPSR 120th Street gate
- The exterior staircase at the Northwest Corner Building will be closed due to hazardous conditions. Please use the interior route as an alternative.
Please note the following Columbia Transportation updates:
- The Intercampus shuttle and Fort Lee shuttles are not in service today but will resume normal operations tomorrow. For up-to-the-minute information on the status and location of the Intercampus Shuttle, please visit http://transportation.columbia.edu/.
- The Arbor and Lamont shuttles are not in service today but anticipate resuming normal operations tomorrow.
To report an emergency on campus, call Public Safety at 212-854-5555. For off-campus health or safety emergencies, please call 911.
Facilities continues to be available at Morningside to assist with campus and building services. To contact the Facilities Services Center, call 212-854-2222, 24 hours a day.
Columbia University Medical Center Updates
Again, classes and events at CUMC remain canceled today. Normal operations will resume tomorrow.
- Access to Bard Hall today is via the entrance at 60 Haven Avenue. The entrance at 50 Haven Avenue remains closed.
- To respond to the weather situation, routine custodial services at CUMC are suspended. Please call 305-HELP if you need services, such as if you see an overflowing garbage can.
- All ColumbiaDoctors practice locations remain closed today but will reopen tomorrow.
CUMC Facilities Operations and CUMC Public Safety are available to assist with campus, building, or other issues that may arise. For Facilities, please call 212-305-HELP or email email@example.com. For Public Safety, call 212-305-8100 for routine matters or 212-305-7979 for an on-campus emergency.
- Lamont-Doherty remains closed today but anticipate resuming normal operations tomorrow.
- Please check back for further updates on Lamont.
For More Information
For more information on weather and transit, please visit:
- The New York City Severe Weather website: http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/nycsevereweather/weather_home.shtml
- The MTA website: www.mta.info
- The National Weather Service website: http://www.weather.gov/
Again, as the situation changes, we will continue to update the Columbia Preparedness website, http://preparedness.columbia.edu/, and the Columbia homepage, www.columbia.edu. The Columbia University Medical Center homepage, www.cumc.columbia.edu, will also be updated. Alternatively, you may call 212-854-1754 for the Morningside campus or 212-305-7300 for the Medical Center.
Remember, exercise caution if you need to travel, and dress in warm layers if you need to be outside.
Executive Vice President, Columbia University Facilities and Operations
On Behalf of the Emergency Management Operations Team