Hurricane Sandy Update, 10/30/2012, 12:20 p.m.
The University has weathered the storm overnight with no reported injuries and only limited damage to our campuses. Our facilities never lost power, although there have been widespread power outages in lower Manhattan, and throughout other boroughs and the wider metropolitan area.
Our thoughts are with everyone in our region, including members of the Columbia community, who have experienced more severe effects of Hurricane Sandy in their homes and communities.
The status of classes and operations for Wednesday (10/31) is now being evaluated in light of State and City decision-making about transit and other essential services. We will provide an additional update later this afternoon and will continue to update the Morningside service announcements here. We allso will continue to update the Columbia homepage, www.columbia.edu, and the Columbia University Medical Center homepage, www.cumc.columbia.edu.
We appreciate the efforts of many University staff who have worked around the clock to maintain essential campus services to our residential students.
As wind and rain continue today, please exercise caution if you need to leave your residence.
Morningside Campus Updates for Tuesday, October 30
- Morningside campus gates have reopened as of 10:45 Tuesday morning.
- For those who are on campus, buildings are operating on a holiday schedule, and members of the community will need their University ID Cards for access.
- Columbia Transportation has suspended service on all shuttles.
- Columbia Dining is operating on a revised schedule. John Jay is open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Tuesday.
- The Housing Hospitality Desk in Hartley Hall continues to be available 24 hours a day at (212) 854-2779.
- Columbia Health has revised hours. Medical Services and Counseling and Psychological Services will have limited walk-in hours for urgent care from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in John Jay Hall on Tuesday. Regularly scheduled hours have been preempted by the hurricane and existing appointments will be rescheduled. Students may communicate with their providers via secure messaging. In an emergency please use the contact information below. The Columbia University Emergency Medical Service, CU-EMS, will remain in service to manage any emergencies.
- Library Status: Butler Library remains open for a study space, but all other library facilities are closed Tuesday.
- The Dodge Fitness Center was closed as of 5:00 p.m. Sunday and will remain closed all day Tuesday, except for limited Athletics department activities.
- Lerner Hall will be open Tuesday, but the student Package Center is closed, and administrative mail is suspended.
- To report an emergency on campus, call Public Safety at (212) 854-5555. For off-campus emergencies, please call 911. Facilities continues to be available at Morningside to assist with campus and building services. To contact the Facilities Services Center, call (212) 854-2222, 24 hours a day.